Even though I would consider myself equally a producer and consumer of technology, I have had very little experience with blogging as throughout my Bachelor’s degree I focused more on website creation. I have found that I have thoroughly enjoyed experimenting and discovering the tools available in the free platform, Blogger.
Online sites, such as a blogging platform can benefit
students learning through several aspects. Incorporating ICTs into the
classroom allows students to engage, enhance and extend learning in
pedagogically sound, flexible, and innovative ways
While familiarising myself with Blogger, I found that
the web space reminded me of the program Microsoft Word as it essentially has all
the same basic functions such as changing the font, colour of text, text
highlight, insert images and embed hyperlinks. Within each blog post, not only
can links to other websites and videos be embedded, but so can images and videos
themselves. This allows the viewer to access without having to travel to an
additional web space. However, PowerPoint presentation and Word documents cannot
be embedded into Blogger.
Blogger provides the user with a choice to either
work in their user-friendly view for those with minimal technology experience or
with the raw html code for more advanced users. In addition, the user can
change how the side menu is presented (if visible) regarding layout and text,
add ‘gadgets’ which allow the user to add a search function and adjust the
presentation of blogs on the home page (brief description of the blog and a
thumbnail). Furthermore, a menu can be added to the top with links to various
pages (such as contact information, about page, etc).
I have personally found Blogger to have a small
learning curve for the level of customisation available. The web space is
highly user friendly by having pre-existing themes available. These themes can
be easily customised to alter the blogs appearance by adding a background
image, changing the font, size and even the hyperlink colour.
Blogger’s privacy settings allow for the user to
age restrict their content, alongside marking individual blog posts as drafts,
which prevent it from being viewed by others. Blogs are usually created by a single
author, unlike wikis which has led to web spaces such as Blogger not allowing
for multi-authors on one site. Taking this into consideration, I strongly believe
that this web space can be a valuable tool for both teachers and students to
use in the classroom.
Layout Interface
The Australian Professional
Standards for Teachers outlines that teachers are required to use ICT safely, responsibly
and ethically
- Intellectual property
- Cyber bullying
- Online security
- Being creators and users of ICT
As a preservice teacher specialising
in film, television and new media and digital technologies, I believe that Blogger
can be implemented into the classroom with ease, and demonstrate this through the
four stages of the SAMR model.
Substitution: Technology acts as a direct
substitution, with no functional change.
Blogger can be utilized to engage students in their
learning by being an easy for students to keep their reflections. During my
placement, students were required to write weekly reflections in their notebook
to demonstrate their ability to analyse and improve their skills. This could have
easily been improved through the use of Blogger as it requires minimal effort
to set up.
Augmentation: Technology acts as a direct substitution,
with functional improvement.
Blogger would directly improve the quality of the students’
presentation and response through the web spaces features. The students would
have all the resources and abilities they would have had to create their paper
reflections, however by using Blogger this task becomes easier to organise as
each piece of written work would be in a central location. Furthermore, this
would benefit teachers as each post would display a publication date, ensuring
that students are keep up with their weekly tasks.
Modification: Technology allows for significant
task redesign.
Although I am a preservice teacher, my major area
is film, television and new media. The documents I have seen submitted while on
placement are often poorly presented. Blogger would allow tasks to be
redesigned, allowing students to evaluate, analyse and apply the new concepts
and skills, which would further their digital literacy and digital fluency.
Redefinition: Technology allows for the creation of
new tasks previously inconceivable.
Blogger has the unique ability that blog web spaces
do that allows others to comment on their posts. In a typical classroom
setting, it would be essentially impossible to have students’ share their
reflections around and be able to monitor the responses. Utilizing ICT however,
students would be able to provide their peers with feedback and improve their
reflective practice, whilst being able to effectively monitor the feedback.
References
ACARA. (2022). Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
Capability. Retrieved from Australian Curriculum:
https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/f-10-curriculum/general-capabilities/information-and-communication-technology-ict-capability/
AITSL.
(2017). Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments.
Retrieved from Australian Professional Standards for Teachers:
https://www.aitsl.edu.au/teach/standards
Moges
Alemu, B. (2015). Integrating ICT into Teaching-learning Practices:
Promise, Challenges and Future Directions of Higher Educational Institutes.
Horizon Research Publishing.
Hi Natasha,
ReplyDeleteA very thorough review of Google's Blogger and a pleasant one to read. Your blog was interesting through your analysis of the web space in how you discussed some of the strengths and limitations of Blogger through your interactions with the program. There were strong links to ICTs and how Blogger can be integrated into the classroom via the SAMR model. I think the points you made in regards to the SAMR model (Augmentation and Modification) are very valid points that I can relate to when receiving student work. It was good to see some visuals to further support what you were saying in terms of the safety features within Blogger. I don't have much in terms of criticism, I think it what you have written covers all bases and is a high quality reflection.
Hi Natasha,
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a good reflection of blogger and a very thorough reflection at that. Well done.
As a tool that you could use in a school do you think you would personally use it or not?
Not that your asking; but from reading your review I would be inclined to use word as you noted the similarity. My latest placement had a school moodle portal where the teacher or student could use a onedrive live word document. The students could add to this weekly with formatted heading styles and the location of the document would be safely within the school.
Students would use prior knowledge to eliminate a learning curve and would build upon their skills of formatting and editing that they could use towards future emails, higher education and the real world.
Hi Natasha,
ReplyDeleteI can relate to receiving poorly presented information and love that Blogger offers students the ability to easily rearrange their information and present it in a highly professional manner! It's always great when we can help them to improve their digital literacy and fluency skills.
In terms of receiving and providing peer feedback it appears that Blogger makes that more attainable! However, I'm just wondering how much time it would take for each student to visit someone else's profile and leave a comment? Would you assign small groups or partners to save time instead? And where would students find the link to everyone else's profile? I'd love some more information to see how this compares to other websites such as Google Sites!
Looking forward to reading your next post!
Hey Natasha,
ReplyDeleteThis is also my first foray into blogging as it never really met any personal needs that were not catered for by a website. However, I think you explain the advantages of using a blog in a classroom environment very well.
I believe you also highlight its limitations as well with the inability to embed PowerPoint or Word directly into the layout. I found this very interesting and looking into it I can see you are correct and the only way to embed is to have it hosted on third party site.
I also found your section on Blogger’s privacy settings very interesting and realised I had myself neglected to see this as an important part of responsible use of ICT’s.
Your analysis of the SAMR model is precise and informative with some good examples provided for each level.
A very thorough and informative post. Thank you.